Monday, January 30, 2012

Persistence in Prayer

Listening to the radio the other day while doing housework, my attention became riveted on an encouraging message by Cheryl Brodersen. She shared some amazing insights on prayer. As many of you know, my husband and I have been going through a period of dealing with a prodigal child. I have chosen to place my son in the Lord's hands, trusting that He loves him more than I do. I have prayed hour upon hours for him. But still...There's always those times of fleshly weakness, those times of doubt. Are You listening, God? Are You really doing something in my son's life? I don't "see" anything happening!


Certainly God knows just what we need, when we need it. After listening to Cheryl's message I was re-energized to go before the Lord; I had renewed hope. And I am so excited about prayer again! The thing I really came away with is that it's not about how I feel. What I feel, and even what I see, may not be the spiritual reality. An answer to my prayer may simply be delayed. It may be that God is getting things prepared in order to answer that prayer. 


This was the case when the prophet Daniel prayed for understanding. While his prayer was heard immediately (Daniel 9:23), it took three weeks for Daniel to receive the answer (Daniel 10:13). Imagine that in your own life. Three weeks in the midst of a crisis feels like a long time to wait! We want answers now! If we were to just go by our feelings, some of us would lose heart and stop praying. While we read that Daniel "mourned" during this time, he also resolved to fast. But using his time wisely in fasting still could do nothing to hasten the answer. He had to wait. The reason, of course, was due to an unseen battle taking place in the spiritual realm: Satan's forces attempting to thwart the messenger of God.


Interestingly, as believers we are also told in the New Testament, in the Book of Ephesians, that we battle "not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:12) For this reason we are to put on the full armor of God, described for us later in the chapter. The only piece of armor not listed is shin guards. The ancient Greeks called them "greaves." Now, why is this important? Why does it matter that Paul excluded greaves in his list of armor? I believe he didn't list them to make it obvious that God intends our warfare to be conducted ON OUR KNEES in prayer! Friend, this is a great truth. It is worth meditating on as you consider the importance of your prayer life.


So let me encourage you today. Maybe, just maybe, God is about to move in a big way in your situation. Like Daniel, have confidence that your prayers have been heard: they are before the throne of the Almighty. While you may not immediately "see" the results, you must trust that your prayers are powerful and will accomplish much. The Word of God tells us:


"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. " James 5:16

To listen and download this powerful message entitled "The Path of Prayer," just click on this link. I hope it encourages you as much as it did me!

I'd love to know what you think of the message after you've listened. It'd be great to get a discussion going about prayer. It's one of my favorite subjects! Maybe you have a testimony of answered prayer that you like to share? Please leave that in the comments section if you'd like.

Hope you have a good week as you keep your eyes fixed on Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment