Monday, March 7, 2011

Men Just Aren't as....Exclamatory?!

A conversation I had with a reader of this blog earlier today was too good not to share! She and I made some amusing observations about our husbands in regards to the last post. I thought you might enjoy them! 


1) We both agreed that although our husbands don't shower us with praise or compliments on a consistently steady basis - they don't do this with other people either! (Hmm, now there's something to think about.) On the other hand, we both knew of husbands that are exceptions to this "rule."  Husbands who seem to adore their wives, but also seem to easily compliment other women as well! Our conclusion? Better to have our husbands! We even laughed over this and said that it would be better to have no compliments from our husband, then to have a husband who always compliments other women! 


2) This got us started on the subject of the way we say things, versus the way our husbands say them. For example, one of us might say to our husband, "Oh honey, you look great tonight! You're so handsome in those new clothes!" But he, essentially meaning the same thing, would probably say: "You look nice." ...Period! No exclaiming or fussing; just straightforward "guy language."


3) Then there's those words women tend to use that may not actually be found in our husbands' vocabularies. I, for one, mentioned that many times I've said something is "sooo wonderful," but Aaron never says anything like that. Well, my friend didn't miss a beat. She replied right back, "I know! I doubt my husband even thinks to put those two words together!" What's funnier yet is that neither of us could remember a time when our husbands even used the word "wonderful!" 


Now, let me wrap this up by saying that I've been writing here in a light-hearted manner about a serious subject. The disparity between the sexes is one that's caused an untold number of misunderstandings between husbands and wives, as well as much heartache and misery. However, may I stress that it doesn't have to be that way - if we'll only remember that men really are different from us. Not wrong, just different. They are as God made them, just as we are. He created each sex unique to fulfill their roles; yet perfectly complimenting one another. Therefore, husbands and wives speak and communicate entirely distinct from one another.


So let's take heart in the fact that there's no such thing as a husband who's the embodiment of a knight in shining armor. No man will perfectly meet the need of his wife for affirming words. He can't, for he truly does not understand it. Dear sister, please remember this - fairy tales are not real, yet the man we married is very real. Learn to appreciate him as such and believe that he feels the same things you do, but expresses them differently. Today, when I hung up and thought about it some more, I smiled and giggled a moment. I found that I like my husband; he's a real man alright! And I like the way he says things. Short and to the point!

No comments:

Post a Comment